Thursday, April 13, 2006

Polish Planes and Potatoes




I think I mentioned that I was going to go to Poland for a week long thing for work. Anyway, I went a couple of weeks ago and am just getting around to posting about it. I was apart of a group of USAF people talking about the F-16 and how it handles in weather, etc. The Polish Air Force is buying a few export F-16's from the U.S. and this was just apart of a familiarization "tour."
More importantly, I got a free trip to Poland. I was staying in the city of "Poznan." It is a city of about 600,000 people. Poland is very different from the U.S. The communist/Soviet way of the cold war is still very present. The apartment buildings all look cold and a bit scary. However, the people are awesome. The food was good and the old town/square was happening. I did note that they eat potatoes with practically everything.
Polish women are gorgeous. That's a fact.
The town I was visiting had the oldest Catholic Cathedral in the country---it was really cool. I never would have thought that I would be in Poland one day briefing at a former Warsaw Pact Air Force Base.
Next: I have a week off work. Solo trip through Italy and maybe a little bit of France.
Pics:
Tram in Poznan
Inside a castle/estate near the town
A Polish Air Force Conscript (Yes, many other militaries have MANDATORY service periods for all males---Conscripts are the lowest of the low in a military sense....and they do all the jobs the "professional" military guys don't want to do. It was like this in Turkey, Italy(a few years ago) and many other countries.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edbo-The conscript looks like Artie. Sorry Artie, you have now been reduced to the "Hup" everyday-

Dan