Saturday, March 25, 2006

"Spending That Money"



My mom always used to attack me with the comment when I was in High School and College: "You're just spending that money." Later, Alex Thompson told me he had the same criticism thrown his way a few times as well.
Now, I'm doing just that---or I should say, yesterday, I did just that. I finally picked up my Italian Road bicycle from the owner of GranCiclismo/Salvador Race Team in the town of Sacile. It's a pretty sweet bike--fit just for me. Carbon forks, etc...and good components. I bought a mountain bike from this guy a couple of years ago and have been happy with it.
I took the bike out on a spin today and man, it is fast. No sooner had I turned out of my driveway when I had merged with a pack of Italian cyclists cruising up the mountain highway. I was able to hang for a few miles, but fell aft since there was no way I could hang with those guys. Anyway, I cruised around and got used to it. I didn't realize how much the balance changes for a rider on a road bike versus a mountain bike.
If I never ride it again, it was worth it. Only when you make a purchase like that are you really like a kid on Christmas.
Alex "Artie" Thompson will appreciate the fact that both of my bikes are "standard black."
Above is a picture of the fleet.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exceptionally standard beyond all approval!
Artie

Anonymous said...

Hey, you might as well enjoy it while you can! (I have read a few articles saying that exercise is good for you.) The "rolling stock" looks impressive...good luck on the Dalmation tour/ Dad

Brade said...

that is better than marginal.

Anonymous said...

Ed
Just finished off the last bottle of wine you gave me Friday night. Thanks!!! It was great. Be careful on your bikes, they look dangerous. Seriously. Well love ya Leslie

Anonymous said...

Dude what ever you do, do not lock those bikes up at Nicks Hall.

later
mark
and
the frame of your other bike.

Anonymous said...

come on
Ed join us all in the world of myspace you know you want to be like the other cool kids. love leslie oh yeah be careful