Thursday, January 26, 2006

Good Movies

Here's a quick post. I decided to list a few movies I've seen recently that might be worth your while.

1. The March of the Penguins. --This one was really cool. I thought I would get made fun of by my friends for renting it...but it was amazing. Good footage and you won't believe how interesting the little dudes are.

2. The Great Raid. --A WWII movie about a raid to rescue U.S. POW's from a Japanese POW camp. Not as good as I'd hoped, but the story is a good one and based on the truth.

3. Prozac Nation. --I didn't think I'd like this one. I rented it b/c there was nothing else that looked good. Kind of weird...but is compelling. You sort of feel depressed after watching it. Christina Ricci seems to be a great actress.

4. The Lords of Dogtown. --A movie about real-life skateboarders in the early days of skating in California. Not alot of substance, but it was pretty cool to learn how it all got started.

5. Girl with a Pearl Earring. --A good movie to watch on a date I guess. It's been around for a while, but I finally saw it a month or two ago. It's about the painter Vermeer and the creation of one of his famous works. On a side note, I'm almost nearly in love with the main actress..Scarlett Johansson.

4 comments:

Brade said...

I'm all about some "scar-jo" too. I've been meaning to watch "the island." maybe tomorrow.

here's a movie everyone should watch: Brazil. A 1985 sci-fi piece directed by former monty pythong guy terry gilliam, featuring a storyline inspired by orwell's book 1984.

plus my minor in english is paying off as I now realize the Brazil reference is an homage to michel montaigne's essay "of cannibals." montaigne is the father of the informal essay, and could thus be considered the ancestor of the blog, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

A few that we have seen recently worth note:

Lord of War -- very good and worth the watch

Thumbsucker -- also very good with a great cast, Vince Vaughn, Keanu Reeves, Benjamin Bratt, Vincent D'Onofrio etc... not a lot of press, but a good movie.

Born in to Brothels -- Great documntary, very depressing, but leaves you with some semblance of hope -- highly recommended

Wedding Crashers -- Vicen Vaughn, Owen Wilson -- need I say more -- funny as shit!!

Talk to you soon.

Roark

Anonymous said...

good movies,

y tu mama tambien

Ponette

Easy

*~*Michelle*~* said...

I want to see March of the Penguins, but I don't do animal movies very well -- I have a hard time with sad things...Girl with the Pearl Earring is even better in book form!