Thursday, March 17, 2005

Ischgl Austria

I just got back from our sqadron ski trip to Ischgl, Austria. Overall, it was a great time. Almost every pilot in the squadron was there with families, children, etc. Our hotel was awesome. Great meals and service. Every morning there was a huge breakfast (family style)--with a large selection of lunch stuff so you could make sandwiches, etc. to pack away for the slopes. At the end of the day we all met again for a huge Austrian dinner and conversation.
Skiing in Austria is something very special. I've been there a few times and each time I notice how much it differs from Italy, France and nearby countries. Skiing is the MAIN thing the Austrian people do. I guess if you live in a country that is surrounded by mountains you make wintersports a serious pastime. Also, the post skiing festivities are huge. It's called "Apres Schi." Basically meaning, "After Ski." There's music, food and dancing--and people of all ages gathering at the bottom of the slopes. The music gets a little old--the Austrians and Germans love to hear the same songs OVER and OVER again.
The mountains were awesome. You could literally ski into Switzerland on one trail and be back in Austria on the next. It was almost impossible to ski the same run twice. Alot of the trails were extremely difficult and the skiing off trail was virtually limitless. Lots of deep powder and steep terrain.
Well, I'll write more later...it's back to work for me now.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever think you'd be critiquing the skiing in Austria, France and Germany? You're quite the continental now!
Meredith

ed266 said...

Yes, maybe I should start doing that--or just hang up my flightsuit and be a travel agent.

Anonymous said...

I hate you! Wish I was there tumbling through the deep powder and smashing into trees!


Roark

Anonymous said...

I just have to ask this.. how do you pronounce Ischgl? I agree with Meredith you have had the chance to ski in so many different places and give comparisons..wow

Jennifer

ed266 said...

It's pronounced "Ish-gul"..but I guess you need to sound German or Austrian.

Anonymous said...

When you are ready to return to the dull U.S. I have a lot of Delta Skymiles to transfer to you! It is getting hot here in LA (Lower Alabama)...Big Red One alum

Anonymous said...

When you are ready to return to the dull U.S. I have a lot of Delta Skymiles to transfer to you! It is getting hot here in LA (Lower Alabama)...Big Red One alum

Anonymous said...

You've enjoyed so many amazing experiences and places in the "Force"...such as Ischgl! I'm truly so happy for you!! I look forward to talking to you more all about them when you return to the States. It's getting hot here in Phoenix (which I love, of course). Slap on the sunblock too, Ed...as you know, Iraq is going to be a scorcher. At least you won't be Vitamin D deficiant (ha!). KIT.