Monday, May 29, 2006

Slovenia Outdoor Experience

I really needed a weekend like this. As usual, my friends and I waited to the absolute last second to decide where we were going to go for a 4 day weekend in Europe. We talked about Poland, Sicily and Croatia. Finally, we threw down on a "extreme" weekend of camping in Slovenia (the Bovec wilderness/national park area). Three of us headed out with mountain bikes, climbing gear, kayak and every other piece of outdoor equipment we could muster. My Xterra was loaded down as we left our local area. On the way we were stopped by the Tour D'Italia road bicycle race--which was cool to see...but was slowing us down in our effort to hit the mountains.
"Bovec" Slovenia is an absolute paradise for outdoor junkies and nature lovers. The Soca river is a crystal clear/aquamarine-colored river that rages through the mountains in and near Bovec. There are tons of river guide companies, etc near the river...but the tiny towns still maintain a quiet and simple tone. We found a campsite along the river and set up our stuff. The first day we kayaked a portion of the river with class I, II and III rapids. It was great. The second day we went rock climbing in the morning and hit the water in the afternoon for more kayaking. This time we were on a portion that was a little more "lethal." I got out and rode in a van back to my car prior to going through the class IV section with numerous "siphons" which have killed a bunch of people in previous years. My friends, "Kilo" and "Trigger" pressed on and survived (although both are very experienced kayakers).
The next morning we got up and mountain biked a long series of trails along the river. It was great---but I had one minor problem: I fell off a cliff. I really did. I was riding along on a narrow singletrack trail that was along a sheer drop next to the river. I shifted gears in the most narrow part and my chain locked up somehow. I flipped over the handlebars and next thing I know was that I was falling. I landed with my bike in a tree that jutted out from the side of the cliff. It kept me suspended there. Kilo shouted, "Dude, DO NOT MOVE." At hearing this, I knew I was in a fix. I couldn't look down because I was pinned and couldn't see that I was suspended above nothing but the canyon floor. I kept trying to work myself free from my bike while Kilo climbed down to my spot. Once I got free from my backpack and bike I was able to climb out with just some bruises and scratches. We were laughing hysterically at how funny/shocking it must have been to see me flipping off the trail into the abyss. I'm thankful for that little tree..because without it I would have at least had several broken bones.
We left Slovenia and rolled into Italy to meet some friends for "Cantina Aperte." It's an annual tradition in Italy where most wineries open their doors to the public and you can go around and see their estates, etc. and taste the wine if you want. We ended up going to an amazing winery near Cormons, Italy that was in an old castle. It was so cool. After, we cruised to a little winery that doubled as a hotel. We ate a pizza and drove home after that. It still have today off...so it's back to the thing I hate most: Laundry.
Next adventure: Turkey for 2 weeks.....we leave next week sometime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

where's the pic of the tree that saved your life? it at least deserves a cameo appearance

Anonymous said...

That sounds like...uh...fun./ Dad

Brade said...

what, no pic of you suspended in the tree??!

kinda reminds me of when we 'got tilted' in your truck exiting DCHS...