Thursday, February 23, 2006

Belgium






Belgium is a really cool country---I'd recommend going if you get the chance. Of course, I wanted to geek out and visit some WWII sites, etc. Bastogne, central to the battle of the Bulge, etc. was a really cool town. The monument dedicated to the U.S. troops there is amazing. It lists every state in the U.S. and has plaques for every unit involved. A very cool memorial built by the Belgium. I saw a sign there that read: "The people of Belgium will never forget their American Liberators."
Also, there were a bunch of people in U.S. WWII uniforms that were driving around in WWII era U.S. jeeps, etc. They were having a 12km march from one town to the next to commemorate a part of the campaign. The weather was snowy, so it made for tough conditions.
Brussels is an awesome city. Cool markets, monuments, etc. Good seafood. Much bigger than I thought. I flew RyanAir from Venice for fairly cheap compared to what you would pay to take a train or drive. Definitely worth it. I'll post some more pics of the city tonight.
Later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great pics. love ya leslie

Anonymous said...

love ya leslie...you are always too sweet and my biggest fan...
Ed